The DICT Development Group

Search for:
Search type:

Database copyright information
Server information

5 definitions found
 for pane
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Pane \Pane\, n. [F. panne.]
     The narrow edge of a hammer head. See Peen.
     [1913 Webster]

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Pane \Pane\, n. [OE. pan part, portion of a thing, F. pan a
     skirt, lappet, part or piece of a wall, side, fr. L. pannus a
     cloth, fillet, rag; akin to E. vane. See Vane, and cf.
     Panel, Pawn pledge.]
     1. A division; a distinct piece, limited part, or compartment
        of any surface; a patch; hence, a square of a checkered or
        plaided pattern.
        [1913 Webster]
     2. One of the openings in a slashed garment, showing the
        bright colored silk, or the like, within; hence, the piece
        of colored or other stuff so shown.
        [1913 Webster]
     3. (Arch.)
        (a) A compartment of a surface, or a flat space; hence,
            one side or face of a building; as, an octagonal tower
            is said to have eight panes.
        (b) Especially, in modern use, the glass in one
            compartment of a window sash; a windowpane.
            [1913 Webster +PJC]
     4. In irrigating, a subdivision of an irrigated surface
        between a feeder and an outlet drain.
        [1913 Webster]
        (a) One of the flat surfaces, or facets, of any object
            having several sides.
        (b) One of the eight facets surrounding the table of a
            brilliant cut diamond.
            [1913 Webster]

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Peen \Peen\ (p[=e]n), n. [Cf. G. pinne pane of a hammer.]
     (a) A round-edged, or hemispherical, end to the head of a
         hammer or sledge, used to stretch or bend metal by
     (b) The sharp-edged end of the head of a mason's hammer.
         [Spelt also pane, pein, and piend.]
         [1913 Webster]

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :

      n 1: sheet glass cut in shapes for windows or doors [syn:
           pane, pane of glass, window glass]
      2: a panel or section of panels in a wall or door [syn:
         paneling, panelling, pane]
      3: street name for lysergic acid diethylamide [syn: acid,
         back breaker, battery-acid, dose, dot, Elvis,
         loony toons, Lucy in the sky with diamonds, pane,
         superman, window pane, Zen]

From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 :

  80 Moby Thesaurus words for "pane":
     bay, bay window, bow window, casement, casement window, coat,
     coating, collop, covering, cut, deal, diaphane, disk, display case,
     fan window, fanlight, feuille, film, flap, foil, fold, glass,
     glassware, grille, lamella, lamina, laminated glass,
     laminated wood, lancet window, lantern, lap, lattice, leaf, light,
     louver window, membrane, oriel, panel, patina, peel, pellicle,
     picture window, plait, plank, plate, plating, ply, plywood, port,
     porthole, quarrel, rasher, rose window, safety glass, scum, sheet,
     shopwindow, showcase, skin, skylight, slab, slat, slice, stemware,
     table, tablet, transom, transparent substance, veneer, vitrics,
     vitrine, wafer, watch crystal, watch glass, wicket, window,
     window bay, window glass, windowlight, windowpane

Contact=webmaster@dict.org Specification=RFC 2229