The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
for Pencil case
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Pencil \Pen"cil\, n. [OF. pincel, F. pinceau, L. penicillum,
penicillus, equiv. to peniculus, dim. of penis a tail. Cf.
1. A small, fine brush of hair or bristles used by painters
for laying on colors.
With subtile pencil depainted was this storie.
2. A slender cylinder or strip of black lead, graphite,
colored chalk, slate etc., or such a cylinder or strip
inserted in a small wooden rod intended to be pointed, or
in a case, which forms a handle, -- used for drawing or
writing. See Graphite.
3. Hence, figuratively, an artist's ability or peculiar
manner; also, in general, the act or occupation of the
artist, descriptive writer, etc.
4. (Opt.) An aggregate or collection of rays of light,
especially when diverging from, or converging to, a point.
5. (Geom.) A number of lines that intersect in one point, the
point of intersection being called the pencil point.
6. (Med.) A small medicated bougie.
Pencil case, a holder for pencil lead.
Pencil flower (Bot.), an American perennial leguminous herb
Pencil lead, a slender rod of black lead, or the like,
adapted for insertion in a holder.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
n 1: a box for holding pencils [syn: pencil box, pencil
Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org Specification=RFC 2229