The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for Independent seconds watch
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Independent \In`de*pend"ent\, a. [Pref. in- not + dependent: cf.
1. Not dependent; free; not subject to control by others; not
relying on others; not subordinate; as, few men are wholly
A dry, but independent crust. --Cowper.
2. Affording a comfortable livelihood; as, an independent
3. Not subject to bias or influence; not obsequious;
self-directing; as, a man of an independent mind.
4. Expressing or indicating the feeling of independence;
free; easy; bold; unconstrained; as, an independent air or
5. Separate from; exclusive; irrespective.
That obligation in general, under which we conceive
ourselves bound to obey a law, independent of those
resources which the law provides for its own
enforcement. --R. P. Ward.
6. (Eccl.) Belonging or pertaining to, or holding to the
doctrines or methods of, the Independents.
7. (Math.) Not dependent upon another quantity in respect to
value or rate of variation; -- said of quantities or
8. (U. S. Politics) Not bound by party; exercising a free
choice in voting with either or any party.
Independent company (Mil.), one not incorporated in any
Independent seconds watch, a stop watch having a second
hand driven by a separate set of wheels, springs, etc.,
for timing to a fraction of a second.
Independent variable. (Math.) See Dependent variable,
Syn: Free; uncontrolled; separate; uncoerced; self-reliant;
bold; unconstrained; unrestricted.
Contactemail@example.com Specification=RFC 2229