The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for the net
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Net \Net\ (n[e^]t), n. [AS. net; akin to D. net, OS. net, netti,
OHG. nezzi, G. netz, Icel. & Dan. net, Sw. n[aum]t, Goth.
nati; of uncertain origin.]
1. A fabric of twine, thread, or the like, wrought or woven
into meshes, and used for catching fish, birds,
2. Anything designed or fitted to entrap or catch; a snare;
any device for catching and holding.
A man that flattereth his neighbor spreadeth a net
for his feet. --Prov. xxix.
In the church's net there are fishes good or bad.
3. Anything wrought or woven in meshes; as, a net for the
hair; a mosquito net; a tennis net.
4. (Geom.) A figure made up of a large number of straight
lines or curves, which are connected at certain points and
related to each other by some specified law.
5. A network. [informal]
6. Specifically: The internet; -- usually the net; as, I
found it on the net. [slang]
Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org Specification=RFC 2229