The DICT Development Group

Search for:
Search type:

Database copyright information
Server information

3 definitions found
 for kludge
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :

      n 1: a badly assembled collection of parts hastily assembled to
           serve some particular purpose (often used to refer to
           computing systems or software that has been badly put

From The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003) :

      1. /kluhj/ n. Incorrect (though regrettably common) spelling of kluge
      (US). These two words have been confused in American usage since the early
      1960s, and widely confounded in Great Britain since the end of World War
      2. [TMRC] A crock that works. (A long-ago Datamation article by Jackson
      Granholme similarly said: ?An ill-assorted collection of poorly matching
      parts, forming a distressing whole.?)
      3. v. To use a kludge to get around a problem. ?I've kludged around it for
      now, but I'll fix it up properly later.?
      This word appears to have derived from Scots kludge or kludgie for a common
      toilet, via British military slang. It apparently became confused with U.S.
      kluge during or after World War II; some Britons from that era use both
      words in definably different ways, but kluge is now uncommon in Great
      Britain. ?Kludge? in Commonwealth hackish differs in meaning from ?kluge?
      in that it lacks the positive senses; a kludge is something no Commonwealth
      hacker wants to be associated too closely with. Also, ?kludge? is more
      widely known in British mainstream slang than ?kluge? is in the U.S.

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (30 December 2018) :

      /kluhj/ (From the old Scots "kludgie" meaning an
     outside toilet) A Scottish engineering term for anything added
     in an ad hoc (and possibly unhygenic!) manner.  At some point
     during the Second World War, Scottish engineers met Americans
     and the meaning, spelling and pronunciation of kludge became
     confused with that of "{kluge".
     The spelling "kludge" was apparently popularised by the
     "Datamation" cited below which defined it as "An ill-assorted
     collection of poorly matching parts, forming a distressing
     The result of this tangled history is a mess; in 1993, many
     (perhaps even most) hackers pronounce the word /klooj/ but
     spell it "kludge" (compare the pronunciation drift of mung).
     Some observers consider this appropriate in view of its
     ["How to Design a Kludge", Jackson Granholme, Datamation,
     February 1962, pp. 30-31].
     [{Jargon File]

Contact=webmaster@dict.org Specification=RFC 2229