The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Sail \Sail\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sailed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Sailing.] [AS. segelian, seglian. See Sail, n.]
1. To be impelled or driven forward by the action of wind
upon sails, as a ship on water; to be impelled on a body
of water by the action of steam or other power.
2. To move through or on the water; to swim, as a fish or a
3. To be conveyed in a vessel on water; to pass by water; as,
they sailed from London to Canton.
4. To set sail; to begin a voyage.
5. To move smoothly through the air; to glide through the air
without apparent exertion, as a bird.
As is a winged messenger of heaven, . . .
When he bestrides the lazy pacing clouds,
And sails upon the bosom of the air. --Shak.
Contactemail@example.com Specification=RFC 2229