The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for On even ground
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Even \E"ven\, a. [AS. efen. efn; akin to OS. eban, D. even, OHG.
eban, G. efen, Icel. jafn, Dan. jevn, Sw. j[aum]mn, Goth.
ibns. Cf. Anent, Ebb.]
1. Level, smooth, or equal in surface; not rough; free from
irregularities; hence uniform in rate of motion of action;
as, even ground; an even speed; an even course of conduct.
2. Equable; not easily ruffled or disturbed; calm; uniformly
self-possessed; as, an even temper.
3. Parallel; on a level; reaching the same limit.
And shall lay thee even with the ground. --Luke xix.
4. Balanced; adjusted; fair; equitable; impartial; just to
both sides; owing nothing on either side; -- said of
accounts, bargains, or persons indebted; as, our accounts
are even; an even bargain.
To make the even truth in pleasure flow. --Shak.
5. Without an irregularity, flaw, or blemish; pure. "I know
my life so even." --Shak.
6. Associate; fellow; of the same condition. [Obs.] "His even
servant." --Wyclif (Matt. xviii. 29).
7. Not odd; capable of division by two without a remainder;
-- said of numbers; as, 4 and 10 are even numbers.
Whether the number of the stars is even or odd.
On even ground, with equal advantage.
On even keel (Naut.), in a level or horizontal position.
Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org Specification=RFC 2229