The DICT Development Group

Search for:
Search type:

Database copyright information
Server information

3 definitions found
 for Ferrule
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Thimble \Thim"ble\, n. [OE. thimbil, AS. ??mel, fr. ??ma a
     thumb. [root]56. See Thumb.]
     1. A kind of cap or cover, or sometimes a broad ring, for the
        end of the finger, used in sewing to protect the finger
        when pushing the needle through the material. It is
        usually made of metal, and has upon the outer surface
        numerous small pits to catch the head of the needle.
        [1913 Webster]
     2. (Mech.) Any thimble-shaped appendage or fixure.
        (a) A tubular piece, generally a strut, through which a
            bolt or pin passes.
        (b) A fixed or movable ring, tube, or lining placed in a
        (c) A tubular cone for expanding a flue; -- called
            ferrule in England.
            [1913 Webster]
     3. (Naut.) A ring of thin metal formed with a grooved
        circumference so as to fit within an eye-spice, or the
        like, and protect it from chafing.
        [1913 Webster]

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Ferrule \Fer"rule\ (f[e^]r"r[i^]l or f[e^]r"r[.u]l; 277), n.
     [Formerly verrel, F. virole, fr. L. viriola little bracelet,
     dim. of viriae, pl., bracelets; prob. akin to viere to twist,
     weave, and E. withe. The spelling with f is due to confusion
     with L. ferrum iron.] [Sometimes spelled ferule.]
     1. A ring or cap of metal put round a cane, tool, handle, or
        other similar object, to strengthen it, or prevent
        splitting and wearing.
        [1913 Webster]
     2. (Machinery) Any of various circular or cylindrical metal
        objects used at joints in a tube, pipe, or rod, especially
        to assist making a tight seal at a joint.
     3. Hence: (Steam Boilers) A bushing for expanding the end of
        a flue to fasten it tightly in the tube plate, or for
        partly filling up its mouth.
        [1913 Webster]
     4. Hence: (Chemistry) A bushing used at the joints of metal
        tubing in HPLC equipment to make a tight seal.
     5. (Fishing) One of several small rings at the top of a
        casting rod which holds the fishing line. --RHUD

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :

      n 1: a metal cap or band placed on a wooden pole to prevent
           splitting [syn: ferrule, collet]

Contact=webmaster@dict.org Specification=RFC 2229