The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Fat \Fat\, a. [Compar. Fatter; superl. Fattest.] [AS.
f[=ae]tt; akin to D. vet, G. fett, feist, Icel. feitr, Sw.
fet, Dan. fed, and perh. to Gr. pi^dax spring, fountain,
pidy`ein to gush forth, pi`wn fat, Skr. pi to swell.]
1. Abounding with fat; as:
(a) Fleshy; characterized by fatness; plump; corpulent;
not lean; as, a fat man; a fat ox.
(b) Oily; greasy; unctuous; rich; -- said of food.
2. Exhibiting the qualities of a fat animal; coarse; heavy;
gross; dull; stupid.
Making our western wits fat and mean. --Emerson.
Make the heart of this people fat. --Is. vi. 10.
3. Fertile; productive; as, a fat soil; a fat pasture.
4. Rich; producing a large income; desirable; as, a fat
benefice; a fat office; a fat job.
Now parson of Troston, a fat living in Suffolk.
5. Abounding in riches; affluent; fortunate. [Obs.]
Persons grown fat and wealthy by long impostures.
6. (Typog.) Of a character which enables the compositor to
make large wages; -- said of matter containing blank,
cuts, or many leads, etc.; as, a fat take; a fat page.
Fat lute, a mixture of pipe clay and oil for filling
Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org Specification=RFC 2229