The DICT Development Group

Search for:
Search type:

Database copyright information
Server information

1 definition found
 for Coursed rubble
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Rubble \Rub"ble\, n. [From an assumed Old French dim. of robe
     See Rubbish.]
     1. Water-worn or rough broken stones; broken bricks, etc.,
        used in coarse masonry, or to fill up between the facing
        courses of walls.
        [1913 Webster]
              Inside [the wall] there was rubble or mortar.
        [1913 Webster]
     2. Rough stone as it comes from the quarry; also, a
        quarryman's term for the upper fragmentary and decomposed
        portion of a mass of stone; brash. --Brande & C.
        [1913 Webster]
     3. (Geol.) A mass or stratum of fragments or rock lying under
        the alluvium, and derived from the neighboring rock.
        [1913 Webster]
     4. pl. The whole of the bran of wheat before it is sorted
        into pollard, bran, etc. [Prov. Eng.] --Simmonds.
        [1913 Webster]
     Coursed rubble, rubble masonry in which courses are formed
        by leveling off the work at certain heights.
        [1913 Webster]

Contact=webmaster@dict.org Specification=RFC 2229