The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for Chapter head
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Chapter \Chap"ter\, n. [OF. chapitre, F. chapitre, fr. L.
capitulum, dim. of caput head, the chief person or thing, the
principal division of a writing, chapter. See Chief, and
1. A division of a book or treatise; as, Genesis has fifty
(a) An assembly of monks, or of the prebends and other
clergymen connected with a cathedral, conventual, or
collegiate church, or of a diocese, usually presided
over by the dean.
(b) A community of canons or canonesses.
(c) A bishop's council.
(d) A business meeting of any religious community.
3. An organized branch of some society or fraternity as of
the Freemasons. --Robertson.
4. A meeting of certain organized societies or orders.
5. A chapter house. [R.] --Burrill.
6. A decretal epistle. --Ayliffe.
7. A location or compartment.
In his bosom! In what chapter of his bosom? --Shak.
Chapter head, or Chapter heading, that which stands at
the head of a chapter, as a title.
Chapter house, a house or room where a chapter meets, esp.
a cathedral chapter.
The chapter of accidents, chance. --Marryat.
Contactfirstname.lastname@example.org Specification=RFC 2229