The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Adultery \A*dul"ter*y\, n.; pl. Adulteries. [L. adulterium.
1. The unfaithfulness of a married person to the marriage
bed; sexual intercourse by a married man with another than
his wife, or voluntary sexual intercourse by a married
woman with another than her husband.
Note: It is adultery on the part of the married wrongdoer.
The word has also been used to characterize the act of
an unmarried participator, the other being married. In
the United States the definition varies with the local
statutes. Unlawful intercourse between two married
persons is sometimes called double adultery; between
a married and an unmarried person, single adultery.
2. Adulteration; corruption. [Obs.] --B. Jonson.
(a) Lewdness or unchastity of thought as well as act, as
forbidden by the seventh commandment.
(b) Faithlessness in religion. --Jer. iii. 9.
4. (Old Law) The fine and penalty imposed for the offense of
5. (Eccl.) The intrusion of a person into a bishopric during
the life of the bishop.
6. Injury; degradation; ruin. [Obs.]
You might wrest the caduceus out of my hand to the
adultery and spoil of nature. --B. Jonson.
Contactemail@example.com Specification=RFC 2229